CPFUMC

News and views of the First United Methodist Church in Cross Plains, Texas

Friday, April 14, 2006

POEM FROM ARLENE

Arlene sent this to me to put in the blog. She didn't write it.

Christian

By Maya Angelou:

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'.
"I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven.

"When I say... "I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Share this with somebody who already has this understanding, as reinforcement. But more importantly, share this with those who do not have a clear understanding of what it means to be a Christian, so that the myth that Christians think they are perfect" or "better than others" can be dispelled.

May your day be filled with many blessings.

AMEN TO THAT!
CAR

1 Comments:

Blogger Rick Potter said...

Good words my brother (and thanks Arlene). Reminded me of a quote I keep in my notes by Dr. David Jeremiah:

"When I came to Christ I didn’t at that moment become a totally spiritual being. I didn’t lose the flesh. I’ve had people say to me, “If you accept Christ, all the struggles in your life will be over.” But the day I accepted Christ my struggles began. Before I became a Christian there wasn’t any war going on because I was totally committed to the flesh like everyone is. I used to think that meaning was found in me. When I accepted Christ, I discovered meaning is found in God. Those two concepts have been at war within me since the day I became a Christian.
That conflict is one of the most difficult things for Christians to understand. They may go through all of their lives defeated on account of the struggle. Why doesn’t God take away the struggle? How do you explain the fact that we are born again, saved and ready to go to heaven, and yet we have this intense struggle?"

Jeremiah, D. (1995). Fruit of the spirit : Study guide (Page 11). Nashville, Tenn.: Thomas Nelson Publishers.


Rick

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home