CPFUMC

News and views of the First United Methodist Church in Cross Plains, Texas

Monday, January 08, 2007

BROTHERLY LOVE

I will report in a couple of days about the building progress, but I am curious if anyone is reading this blog. I am not getting any response.

I told my SS class that I have been praying for those who have left the church. My prayer list is divided into those who have health problems, our leaders, our troops, agnostics that I know and I have added a group of those who have left the congregation for their reasons. I read Guideposts (my daughter has given me a Christmas present of the book for years) and one recent devotional was a story by someone from Durango, CO who told about leaving his church for what he thought was a good reason, but coming back after the response of his old members when his father died. He was concerned about how he would be received but, as might be expected, he was welcomed.

My interpretation of Christ's teaching is that he has prepared a place for us IF we follow his commands. He said that everyone who said they know him will not be accepted IF they don't do what he said. His commands are summed up in simple terms that we should love God with all our being, and demonstrate that love by loving our brothers/sisters. We don't have to like or agree with our everyone. But we were told in the Lord's prayer and in other messages that we are to forgive anyone who has offended us, over and over again. So I don't understand how anyone can say they are leaving the fellowship until "the conflict is over". I think if we disagree we should stay and argue our side, but forgive anyone who is ugly about their position.

When I taught college courses, I was always surprised to find every class had students who really didn't like me. I always thought I was so likeable. But I didn't take offense and treated them equally the same on test evaluation. I know that in any group or family there are disagreements. But for families to break up due to those problems, where a little forgiveness would heal, always seemed unreasonable.

So every day I pray that we can all stay and express our viewpoints but remain family friends when the final decision goes in a direction we didn't approve of.

I feel like this blog is a place to express opinions and hope you will tell me where to get off. I love all of you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

OK Charles, I will respond.
I agree that we can agree to disagree. I also am saddened by those that have chosen not to stay and try to help our church overcome our problems. Many times I have wanted to quit and come back when "the conflict" is over. I love my church too much to do that. I take my church jobs seriously and have been in much prayer over decisions that are facing us. I am not a born leader but I feel God has given me a task of leadership that is needed right now. I guess my birth sign of Libra is to blame which means I like balance,like harmony, and weigh decisions carefully. I pray for more unity in our church in 2007. I love being a Methodist.
Judy Porter

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home